Posted on Sep. 22, 2016
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY: Receive, open, code, and prepare insurance specimens for laboratory analysis.
• Computer entry of specimen information
• Must meet minimum accessioning requirement as outlined in incentive program
• Separate and sort specimens by specimen type
• Dispose of tubes not suitable for testing
• Open individual specimen packets, discard all unused material
• Recycle plastic jars and lids when received
• Process each specimen completely before moving to the next specimen
• Accessioning may have up to 4 racks when needed. Racks can hold 50 or 72 specimens, depending on sample type
• Accessioning rate of 1 rack, 50 specimens per rack, saliva
• Order additional testing based on demographics
• Rack specimens by type; when required, label specimen racks and deliver racks to the appropriate department
• Assist in processing oral fluids, urine, and blood samples for testing
• Open shipping packages as directed
• Collect and combine specimens for testing as directed when needed
• Clean up work area, reload supplies for next day, place bag of trash with initials in blue carts to be checked
• When necessary, process specimens and consents received by CRL that are not in standard tubes, but CRL is authorized to run
• Separate and open misdirects to be sorted and routed
• Assist management in ordering and inventory of department supplies and unloading
• When required; help with the opening of the mis-delivered
• Maintain and protect the confidentiality of all CRL and client information
• Be able to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local safety and health regulations that would apply to this job.
Other duties as assigned
• denotes essential job function
Additional sort responsibilities:
• Lifting and pulling large bags of up to 50 lbs.
• Unload freight from shipping containers
• Open bags, lift to sort table
• Scan lab packs, sort and load onto truck
• Assist with the delivery of freight as necessary
EDUCATION: 8th grade, high school grad or GED preferred
EXPERIENCE: None. Prefer some computer skills.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Good basic communication skills
• Ability to read information quickly and retain information for use in processing
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Standing/sitting at confined work stations for extended periods of time. Lifting up to 50 lbs. Pushing & pulling of large carts, trash bags and specimen bags. Repetitive bending of wrists. Repetitive reaching and pulling above shoulders. Ability to enter information on a touch screen and operate a mouse.
EQUIPMENT: Centrifuge, box knife, stamp, stapler, laboratory coat, gloves, face shield, cutting gloves, markers, cutting boards, scanner, printers, PC, and copier.
OTHER: Shifts extend until work is finished; overtime required with little or no notice; change in start time with little or no notice to accommodate business need; weekend work is necessary; specimens consist of body fluids & must be regarded as potentially infectious.