Posted on Mar. 20, 2017
Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K
Get Paid to Work Out All Day Long!
Wilson’s Turf is hiring for a Landscape Sod Farm Laborer. This position is a great opportunity to join our family. The position is located in Galloway, Ohio, and there is no experience necessary; we will train you. Work history in the agricultural industry, general mechanical and automotive skills are plusses. We welcome those with prior farm or landscape experience.
Farm Laborer is a broad term for a variety of tasks that varies from day to day. Duties typically consist of working 80% in Turf (Sod Harvesting) and 20% in other processes. Overtime is available during our busy season, including some Saturdays. You are encouraged to think and take responsibility, can learn many new skills, and can easily see and appreciate your day’s work.
• You get to work outside and get plenty of exercise!
• Paychecks are issued every Friday.
• Paid holidays – if working the day before & after – are Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, & Thanksgiving Day (we have usually finished operation by November)
• Benefits offered- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401k
• Starting rate $10.00+ per hour. Overtime after 40 hours per week.
• This position is a seasonal job, lasting from possibly March through November depending on the weather.
Essential Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
• Safety: Always working with the safety of yourself, your co-workers, and customers as a priority.
• Ongoing Training: Actively participating in ongoing training sessions on various aspects of your job duties.
• Sod Harvesting/Stacking: we have large mechanical sod harvesters, which cut the sod into squares, the squares come down the conveyer and are manually stacked onto pallets. These squares range from 5- 40 pounds with an average of 25 pounds depending on water content.
Forklift Operation: Using a forklift to load empty pallets on the sod stacking machine, staging full pallets from the stacking line.
• Maintenance and Service: With the guidance of Managers and Foremen, perform tasks like general property maintenance, sweeping the shop, chopping and mowing weeds around buildings, pressure washing machinery, repairing broken pallets, servicing mower decks, fueling equipment and vehicles.
At times, assisting with planting, harvesting, etc.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Communication: Balancing listening and talking; keeping others informed.
• Teamwork & Coachability: Ability to work as a member of a team; be receptive to feedback; willing to learn new things and share knowledge and skills; embracing continuous improvement.
• Customer-Oriented: Practicing excellent customer service like being courteous, helpful, patient, and attentive. Professional appearance, clear communication, product, time management skills, and the ability to be flexible enough to handle surprises. Willing to do other tasks to keep our customers satisfied.
• Problem Solving & Innovation: Finding the best solution to a given problem or situation; collaborating with others to seek input and alternative ideas; thinking first before acting. Taking ownership of your work and thinking of new ways to do things better, and being willing to share your ideas with others.
• Technology: Wilson’s understands that learning new technologies can be a challenge. Still, you will need to be receptive to learning new technologies to help improve productivity and profitability of the farm.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly
• Ability to bend, climb, lift throughout the day
• Be able to work outside in all conditions
At Wilson's Turf, we are extremely proud of our industry-wide reputation for unsurpassed product quality and superior customer service. For nearly a half century, our family has been a leading innovative force in the U.S. sod industry through the development of our unique line of Sod Harvesting and Sod Handling Equipment which is now used widely throughout the United States. Because of this leadership...and our long established expertise in producing superior quality product...we are now the primary turfgrass supplier for many of Ohio's largest and most prestigious residential and commercial building contractors and land developers. As you might expect, these highly successful companies demand only the finest quality materials be used at every stage of their project...including the critical, final landscaping stage.
Please Click on Apply.
Note: If applying in person, please do so Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8:00am and 12:00noon.
It is the policy of Wilson’s to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.