Posted on Dec. 15, 2017
FOOD SERVICE SPECIALIST - COOK
The Department of Veterans Affairs a 24/7 long term facility is currently seeking a Cook in Claremore, OK.
Positions in this job family are involved in handling, preparing, cooking and serving food for regular, modified and special diets at a state hospital, school, facility or institution. This includes maintaining clean and sanitary work, preparation and serving areas.
The OK Department of Veterans Affairs provides a wide array of benefits for full-time staff along with competitive salaries.
***Interested candidates are encouraged to email their resume to us today. Click “Quick Apply” to start the application process.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
• Prepares foods, salads, and desserts; cooks or bakes a variety of items.
• Supplies unit with meat, fish or fowl as ordered; cuts and prepares meat, poultry or fish.
• Cleans and prepares foods using tools such as knives, slicers and peelers and equipment such as ovens and steamers; follows written diet orders.
• Operates dishwasher; gathers, cleans, stacks and hand washes or scours pots, pans, dishes, silverware and other cooking and baking utensils.
• Removes refuse from kitchen area; sweeps mops and scrubs kitchen, dining and storage areas.
• Labels, loads and delivers food carts or trays; picks up trays after use.
• Defrosts and cleans refrigerators, walk-in coolers and related equipment.
• Operates state-owned cars, vans, and/or other motorized transportation.
This career level includes positions where employees are assigned responsibility for a variety of tasks involved in preparing and serving meals in a state hospital, school, facility or institution. This includes using items for cooking and baking, cutting and preparing meat, poultry or fish, frying, or roasting foods. Positions are also responsible for the direction of others performing simple and routine duties involving the handling and serving of food and maintaining a clean and sanitary work area. In this role they will make recommendations for future food needs, receive and store food, and assist with serving food.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include the knowledge of ingredients used in baking and cooking; of food storage, preparation and cooking; of recipe usage; of standard weights and measures used in cooking and calculating and measuring ingredients; of operation of kitchen equipment and utensils; of practices and problems of meat storage and preparation; of modern methods and materials used in large scale baking, cooking, and meat cutting; of cutting, mixing and adding ingredients to all types of meat; and of sanitary and health standards. Ability is required to prepare and cook foods, baked goods and meat; to follow written and oral instructions; to direct the work of food service personnel; and to use a variety of tools and knives to cut or slice meat and other foods.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of one year of experience in a commercial or institutional food service or an equivalent combination of education and experience, substituting one year of vocational or technical school training in food preparation for the required experience.