Posted on Jul. 10, 2017
Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance
QUALIFICATIONS: The custodian should demonstrate the ability to perform the tasks
listed. Must complete assigned tasks in accordance with
established time and quality control guidelines.
REPORTS TO: Principal/Lead Custodian
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
JOB GOAL: To provide staff and students with a safe, attractive, comfortable,
clean and efficient place in which to work and learn.
1. Keep building, premises and entryways, including stairways, sidewalks, driveways and
play areas, neat and clean at all times.
2. Clean following assigned areas daily in accordance with specified standards;
• Classrooms – clean desk tops, white boards, door window, windows to outside; high and
low dusting; empty trash and pencil sharpeners; sweep/vacuum, dust mop/wet mop
• Bathrooms – clean toilets, urinals, sinks, partition walls, mirrors; empty trash; refill soap,
toilet paper, paper towels, sanitary products; sweep and mop restroom floor.
• Hallways – sweep/dust/mop/auto scrub/burnish hallways; clean and polish water
3. Inside responsibilities as dictated by AM or PM shift:
• Maintain custodial closets as directed.
• Regulate heat, ventilation and air conditioning systems to provide
temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical usage of fuel,
water and electricity.
• Raise and lower cafeteria tables.
• Lock/unlock doors in accordance with building requirements.
• Body fluid clean up
• Change and install light bulbs and pencil sharpeners.
4. Outside responsibilities as dictated by AM or PM shift:
• Raise and lower the United States flag daily.
• Keep the grounds free from trash and litter.
• Keep dumpster area clean and locked at all times.
• Grounds care: mowing and trimming as assigned.
• Graffiti removal as needed.
• Removal of snow/ice.
• Maintain play areas to ensure a clean, safe and attractive environment.
• Wash windows.
5. Maintain custodial tools and equipment.
6. Report immediately to the lead custodian/supervisor any damage to school property and any
7. Load/unload storage of deliveries and supplies.
8. Move furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities and as
directed by the principal.
9. Assist in the cafeteria as needed.
10. Perform emergency repairs or cleaning services as needed.
11. Attend and participate in any district required training.
12. Maintain a neat, clean personal appearance and wear district uniforms at all times when
performing custodial duties.
13. Assist with building function set-up as well as clean up afterwards. Make sure building is
secure after the event has ended.
14. Possess the ability to work in adverse weather conditions (i.e., heat, cold, rain, and snow).
Responsible for assisting in shoveling snow when required.
15. Lift 50 pounds overhead repeatedly.
16. Perform other duties as assigned by the principal, and his/her designee.
17. Possess the ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in written form, with
administrators, staff and the community as needed.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment will be on an at-will basis for 12 months with two weeks vacation, beginning July 1,
or from the time of employment for the duration of the school year with prorated vacation and/or
personal leave. Each custodian will be provided a work calendar showing the specific daily work
schedule of the employee. The work calendar may be modified by the Board of Education at any
time, as needs dictate.
Eight hours will constitute a workday when working the night shift starting at 3pm or later. Eight
and one-half hours (including a 30 minute non-paid lunch period) will constitute a workday when
working the day or split shift. The Assistant Superintendent of Personnel will establish a definite
The yearly salary will be disbursed in twenty-four (24) equal payments.