Posted on May. 12, 2017
3-11 shift $1.00 per hour shift differential.
Under the supervision of a licensed nurse, provides personal assistance and care to residents of the Skilled Nursing Facility according to medical Care Plan. Performs various personal care activities and supportive professional services to meet the needs of residents in accomplishing activities of daily living. Duties involve personal grooming, oral care, personal hygiene, providing nourishments, taking and recording vital signs, incontinent care, etc. Basic housekeeping tasks and meal preparation. Reports unusual conditions, such as changes in resident behavior or appearance, to supervisor. Maintains documentation of nurse aide duties every shift via the electronic record.
It is important that the incumbent be able to deal effectively and sensitively with Blue Skies of Texas residents in meeting their particular needs and have the ability to recognize and respond to the needs of Skilled Nursing Facility residents. Must pass the nurse aide skills evaluation after employment and annually thereafter.
Incumbent must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in English and be able to understand instructions given in English. Is expected to perform most duties with direct supervision and exercise limited independent action to meet the requirements of the position. Must successfully complete various pre-employment requirements and comply with all provisions of the Blue Skies of Texas employee handbook.
Must be current on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry. Preferred: High school diploma or equivalent. Previous long term care experience is desirable.
Must be current in having attained the Continuing Education Units (CEUs) necessary to meet licensing
requirements. Must be willing to participate in continuing education programs to include Health Support Specialist apprenticeship
program. Preferred: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certification.
Uses simple items of equipment (belts, weights, supports, etc.) to assist and insure the safety of residents. Takes and records vital signs (respiration, pulse, blood pressure, temperature, weight), using appropriate professional equipment. Operates various equipment in support of residents’ personal care (lifts, mechanical/electrical beds, scales, bath tubs, wheel chairs, etc.) Training is provided to ensure the incumbent is familiar with equipment used.
Must have Certified Nursing Assistant certification. Must show proof of successful completion and certification of a Texas Food Handlers Program or successfully complete within 60 days of hire.
1. Performs routine duties to meet residents personal care needs to include, but not limited to: grooming, hygiene, dining, cooking and nutritional services, mobility, elimination, psychosocial and safety needs; organizes all supplies necessary to complete these tasks, supports residents in self-care, and provides care as needed for those unable to care for themselves.
2. Follows universal precautions, proper infection control, sanitation, and safety standards of practice in all work and activities.
3. Takes and records vital signs to include temperature, pulse and respiration, blood pressure, and height and weight.
4. Transfers and positions residents using proper lifting techniques and equipment.
5. Complies with doctor’s orders within scope of responsibilities.
6. Provides restorative therapy under the leadership of therapy professionals and in accordance with the resident’s Care Plan.
7. Observes residents closely, identifying changing needs and conditions at first indication, and reports immediately to nursing or household leadership as appropriate.
8. Participates actively in the resident’s care planning and care conference, serving as the residents' closest advocate in directing their care and honoring their preferences.
9. Works with all household team members, led by resident and family preference, to meet the needs and desires of all household residents.
10. Maintains clean spaces in the household including: resident rooms, household common spaces, and support spaces and equipment.
11. Attends in-service and continuing education sessions, etc., as required
12. Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Within the scope of position duties, responsible for seeing that operations are effective and efficient, assets are safeguarded, and applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures are complied with. This position will handle confidential information and must treat such with appropriate sensitivity.
The physical demands of the job include requiring heavy and frequent heavy lifting (50 pounds or more). The lifting involves repositioning and transfer of residents who may be unable to move on their own. Must be able to push an occupied bed and occupied wheelchair a few hundred yards unassisted and be able to bend, squat, reach, and climb. Must be able to make regular walking rounds of the Skilled Nursing Facility. Must be able to communicate clearly to ensure directions given or received are properly carried out. Will walk approximately four miles per shift and must be able to respond to emergencies in outlying cottages and work areas. In a normal eight-hour shift, the employee will sit 1-2 hours, walk 4-7 hours and stand 2-7 hours. Work is performed indoors in a climate controlled facility. Because of the Facility setting, the use of chemicals and cleaning products is carefully controlled. There are very few environmental hazards, although the threat of communicable disease exists.
Work is normally scheduled to coincide with one of three standard nursing shifts to allow for coverage for a 24/7 operation. The exact duty hours are established by the Director of Nursing and the Administrator and the employee is advised of his/her schedule in advance.
WORK LOCATION: Blue Skies of Texas East or West.
PAY: Dependent upon qualifications and experience, with the intent to be competitive