Posted on Jul. 30, 2016
The Cash Poster is responsible for posting of line item insurance payments and patient payments into the hospital computer system and ensures posting balance with the deposit or electronic funds. The cash poster is also responsible to prepare daily deposit.
* Review insurance explanation of benefits and post payments, denials, and contractual adjustments to the hospital system to the appropriate account.
* Complete deposit and post cash and checks.
* Reconcile electronic lockbox transactions.
* Reconcile electronic remittances (ERA) and electronic funds transfers (EFT).
* Reconcile and post credit cards.
* Research thoroughly before applying to unidentified cash account.
* Investigate unidentified cash and resolve misdirected payments.
* Review overpayments for appropriate posting to correct account or potential refund.
* Process refunds for supervisory approval.
* Balance postings to daily deposits, lockbox, credit cards, ERA, and EFTs, troubleshoot as necessary, and resolve any out of balance conditions.
* Create batch for storage electronically or paper as required by facility procedure.
* Assist in month end close as needed.
* Back-up the cashier as needed.
* Ability to work overtime with little or no notice.
* Maintain a positive working relationship with the hospital staff of all levels and departments.
* Report any important occurrences to management as soon as possible
* Complete posting accurately and timely each day.
* Document account activity accurately and timely.
* Assist personnel in the billing department by providing them with all pertinent information that will help ensure the efficiency and accuracy of the billing process.
* Meet specified goals and objectives as assigned by management on a regular basis.
* Maintain confidentiality of all information pertaining to the patient, either verbal or written at all times.
* Maintain awareness of and actively participate in the Corporate Compliance Program.
* Maintain a neat and orderly workstation.
* High School Diploma or GED required.
* Bachelor's degree is preferred but not required.
* Experience with medical insurance billing and follow-up or medical cash posting is desirable.
* Knowledge of medical terminology and how to read and locate information on an insurance remittance advice or explanation of benefits.
* Must have intermediate computer skills including basic proficiency in Excel.
* Must have strong typing skills.
* Must have 10 key calculator skills.
* Must have good communication skills.