Posted on Sep. 12, 2016
Location: Broadway Complex
Work Schedule: 177 Days
Work Type: Regular Part-Time
Pay Grade: O3
• High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) or
• Valid Texas Class "B" Commercial Driver License with Passenger (P) and School Bus Endorsements
• Texas Department of Public Safety School Bus Certification or must obtain within 90 days of hire.
• High School Diplomas and college/university degrees must be obtained from an accredited program or university approved by the United States Department of Education and the Texas Education Agency.
PRIMARY PURPOSE SUMMARY:
• Responsible for the safe and efficient transportation of eligible students to and from school or other designated locations.
•Maintains safety of students on the bus through enforcement of safety standards of conduct and performs preventative maintenance and safety checks of the bus on a daily basis.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Operates the vehicle in a safe and efficient manner and assists Bus Assistants to ensure students are properly cared for, secured and transported where applicable.
2. Conducts thorough pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the vehicle and special equipment and notifies vehicle maintenance of needed repairs.
3. Inspects bus by checking fuel, tires, lights, and brakes to ensure bus can be operated safely before driving.
4. Ensures proper condition of emergency equipment, such as environment biomedical cleanup kit, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and triangle reflector.
5. Corrects unsafe conditions in work area that could cause an accident and inform supervisor of any conditions that are not correctable immediately.
6. Reports any hazardous conditions along the route.
7. Observes all traffic laws and safety regulations for and during operation of school buses.
8. Ensures the safety, welfare and orderly conduct of passengers while on the bus.
9. Instructs students on safe riding rules and regulations and reports infractions.
10. Follows assigned route and adheres to established schedules.
11. Drives bus to and from extracurricular activities.
12. Handles emergency situations in accordance with operating procedures.
13. Maintains records on bus mileage and number of passengers transported.
14. Keeps assigned bus clean, adequately fueled and in good mechanical condition.
15. Communicates effectively and appropriately with school staff, students, parents, law enforcement officials and the motoring public.
16. Reports all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, mechanical failures and completes required reports.
17. Provides maximum safety for students by providing supervision during loading, unloading and crossing the street.
18. Checks that all students have disembarked from the bus at the end of each run of the route.
19. Applies discipline management techniques in a fair, friendly and firm manner.
20. Operates two-way radio equipment to communicate with the Transportation Office.
21. Attends and completes required training program to maintain state safety certification and meet other related training requirements.
22. Maintains confidentiality of information.
23. Reports to work on time every day.
24. Follows all District policies and procedures.
25. Performs all other tasks and duties as assigned.
• Successful completion of a Physical/Drug and Human Performance Evaluation (HPE) including vision and hearing tests and an acceptable driving record documented by a Motor Vehicle
• Must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization
• Above average degree of concentration, communication (verbal and written), and emotional control
• Ability to operate a school bus, manage student behavior, communicate effectively, complete required safety training and complete annual Bus Driver Certification requirements
• Valid Texas Class "B" Commercial Drivers License with School Bus (S) and Passenger (P) Endorsements
Not all applicants will be interviewed.
NORTH EAST INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER